The Accidental Creative Manifesto
If you work in a creative capacity then you know first hand that you must create on demand. While at work you are paid to never be in the ‘off’ position. You also know that ‘always on’ is clearly an artificial state and that, without building intentionality into your life, you will quickly run aground. The following is precisely for you.
I encourage, coax, bribe and beg you to do the following:
- Visit this page at accidentalcreative.com
- Put headphones on
- Click the “play now” link, listen and read along to Todd Henry, founder of the Accidental Creative community.
- We create. Everyday. Not because we have to, but because we can’t help it. We empty ourselves because that’s what artists do.
- We are brilliant at what we do, but what we do does not define us.
- We understand that our vocation is bigger than our occupation. We’re on this earth to do more than earn a paycheck.
- We are committed to growth. We do not tolerate stagnancy, because it’s the first sign of death.
- We are committed to healthy creating. We recognize that to be prolific for a long time involves intentionality, choice and discipline.
- We know the value of what we make, and we refuse to prostitute ourselves to organizations. We make career decisions based upon who we are not what everyone else would do in our situation.
- We are always looking for ideas. We are focused, curious and passionate about life, because life is art.
- We refuse to play the victim. We are proactive and responsible for our own creative health.
- We are generous because we are free. We know that the goal is to act on the best idea, whether or not it’s our own. We build other people up, even when they don’t reciprocate.
- 10. We are committed to relationships. We recognize that healthy creating will come out of vibrant relationships.
The above can be found at http://accidentalcreative.com/manifesto/
If you’ve been starved for an understanding of process, have felt the urge to scratch invisible itches or are simply on a path of exploration and growth — I’ll leave you to explore the Accidental Creative website, sign up for a free account to gain access to many more excellent and enlightening podcasts.
Access to all the podcasts seems only available to paying members. Membership starts at $9.95USD/month. Perhaps you have an employer who will cover this for you.